Lifespan: 35-40 years
Portland OR | Gresham OR | Beaverton OR | Vancouver WA
Wood shakes offer a natural look with a lot of character. There are many options to choose from like color, width, thickness, or cut of the wood, no two shakes are the same. Wood offers energy benefits, it helps to insulate the attic, and it allows the house to breathe by circulating air through the small openings under the roofing material.
Ready for a FREE estimate?
Click below, and you’ll receive a call back in 30 minutes or less during normal business hours!
The look of a wooden roof is definitely noticeable. The rustic, weathered appearance of cedar shakes provide a natural look that other roofing materials do not. This option isn’t for every homeowner or every home, so you should thoroughly understand the pros and cons, before making a final decision. Our roofing experts will discuss your options and assist you in making the best decision for your new roofing project.
Advantages of Shake Roofing
- Energy efficiency: Cedar shakes are a great insulator. They retain warmth during the winter and reflect heat during the summer.
- Hail protection: Traditional asphalt shingles can take a beating during a hailstorm, but cedar won’t be damaged by chunks of ice.
- Long life: When maintained properly, cedar shake roofs can last 35-40.
- Offers a three-dimensional look: Shingles are three-dimensional, but they look flat. Shakes bring a textured appearance to any roof or architectural style.
- Green impact: For environmentally conscious homeowners, cedar shakes offer sustainability, energy savings, and recyclability. When a cedar shake roof reaches the end of its lifespan, it can be recycled into wood chips.
Disadvantages of Shake Roofing
- More expensive than asphalt: Cedar shake roofs are more expensive than a standard asphalt roof. The green aspect of the shakes contributes to the increased cost, as well as the expertise and time required for installation.
- Additional maintenance: Cedar shake roofs must be maintained to keep the cost of their investment. The cedar needs to breathe, excessive leaves and branches must be cleared from the roof routinely. The roof can be damaged during a storm and repairs, if not made quickly, can lead to more damage.
- Avoiding excessive moisture: Excessive moisture is a problem for a cedar shake roof. Moisture is unavoidable in the Pacific Northwest if the roof can’t adequately dry out in the sun during spring and summer, mold, mildew, and rot can set in. This can be a bigger issue large trees on your property that block the sun.
We offer no pressure free inspection and estimate. Our clients appreciate the professionalism of our knowledgeable staff. When you call us out to inspect/estimate your roof we will provide you with a free estimate for repairs or replacement.
Shake Roofing In Portland OR and Gresham OR
SERVING CLIENTS IN THE GREATER PORTLAND OR & VANCOUVER WA AREAS: